How to complete the I9

What is the I9?

The I9 is a form that all employers must use to verify the identity and employment authorization of all persons hired for employment in the U.S. On this form, you will be asked to give details about your citizenship status, and provide forms of identification to validate that information. 


This document is not the same as the E-Verify form, and your identification documents will not be submitted to USCIS for electronic verification.


How do I sign my I9?

With Workpop, you will be guided through filling out your I9 by filling in forms and making selections from lists, reducing the possibilities of errors on this very important form.

    1. To start, fill in your personal information like name, address, DOB, SSN, email address and phone number. 


      Even though you have already typed this information in your profile, to be compliant with government regulations, we must ask that you type this information again in this form.

    2. Enter any other Last Name(s) that you have used in the past.


    3. Select your citizenship status, and note that you will be asked to provide different information depending on which status you choose.
    4. On the next screen, you be reminded of the documents that you need to bring with you on your first day of work.  
      Choose either one List A document
      or one of each of List B and List C documents.


      You will have different options of documents to provide depending on the citizenship status you selected.

      Click the check box to acknowledge that you understand what documents you need to bring with you on your first day of work.


      If you do not bring these documents with you to your first day of work, your employer will not be able to legally allow you to work.

    5. On the next page, you will be asked to digitally sign your I9. Make sure you review the form before you click to sign.


      If you click cancel, you will be taken back to the task list and you will have to start this task from the very beginning.


      If your employer finds that the information that you submitted is incorrect or incomplete, they will reissue this form to you to complete again.

How do I determine my citizenship? 

            1. According to the U.S. Government a U.S. Citizen is defined as:
              A person is a United States citizen by birth or by naturalization. Persons (except for the children of foreign diplomatic staff) who are born in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and in most cases, Puerto Rico (PR), the U.S. Virgin Islands (VI), Guam (GU), and the Northern Marianna Islands (MP) are U.S. citizens, as are most persons born abroad to parents (or a parent) who are citizens.

              In lamen's terms, to be considered a U.S. citizen you were either born in:

              • The U.S.
              • The District of Columbia
              • Puerto Rico (in most cases)
              • The U.S. Virgin Islands
              • Guam
              • The Northern Marianna Islands


              • born abroad to parents who have U.S. citizenship
            2. The U.S. Government defines a Noncitizen National as
              ...persons born in American Samoa, certain former citizens of the former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and certain children of noncitizen nationals born abroad.

              So, to be a Noncitizen National, you must be:

              • born in American Somoa
              • possibly be a former citizen of th eform Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands
              • possibly be a child of a Noncitizen National who was born abroad

              You can read more about the Certificates of a Noncitizen National here.

            3. The U.S. Government defines a Lawful Permanent Resident as:
              ...non-citizens who are lawfully authorized to live permanently within the United States. LPRs may accept an offer of employment without special restrictions, own property, receive financial assistance at public colleges and universities, and join the Armed Forces. They also may apply to become U.S. citizens if they meet certain eligibility requirements.

              If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, you will:

              • be a non-citizen who is authorized to live permanently in the U.S.
              • have a Alien Registration Number/USCIS Number
            4. The U.S. Government defines an Alien Authorized to Work as:
              a noncitizen who is allowed to work because of his or her immigration status or a noncitizen who is granted work authorization by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

              To be considered an Alien Authorized to Work, you will have:

                • been granted authorization to work by the U.S. government

              and have either:

              • Alien Registration Number/USCIS Number
              • Form I-94 Admission Number
              • Foreign Passport Number

What ID's do I need?

You can provide anywhere between One and Three types of documents to verify your identity, depending on what kinds of documents you have to submit. 

                  1. List A document does not require any supporting forms of identity, so you only have to submit ONE of these types of ID's:

                    List A 

                    • U.S. Passport
                    • U.S. Passport Card
                    • Permanent Resident Card
                    • Alien Registration Receipt Card
                    • Foreign passport containing a temporary I-551 stamp
                    • Foreign passport with temporary I-551 on a machine-readable immigrant visa
                    • Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766)
                    • Foreign passport with Form I-94/I-94A and endorsement of status
                    • Federated States of Micronesia passport with Form I-94/I-94A
                    • Republic of the Marshall Islands passport with Form I-94/I-94A
                  2. List B document does require a supporting document from List C. If you choose to submit these documents you will need at least one from each of these lists:

                    List B

                    • Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.
                    • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.
                    • School ID card with photograph.
                    • Voter’s registration card.
                    • U.S. Military card or draft record.
                    • Military dependent’s ID card.
                    • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
                    • Native American tribal document.
                    • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority.
                    • School record or report card (under 18 only).
                    • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record (under 18 only) .
                    • Day-care or nursery school record (under 18 only).

              List C

  • Social Security Account Number card that DOES NOT include any of the following restrictions: “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT”, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION”, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.”
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545)
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal.
  • Native American tribal document.
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197).
  • Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179).
  • Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

For information and examples of these document types, click here.